1/2 cup sifted and measured all‑purpose flour
1/2 cup of cornstarch
6 extra large eggs at room temperature
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F
- Butter, line and rebutter 2 eight inch layer cake pans.
- Flour and take out excess flour.
- Resift the flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- With a mixer gently beat the eggs for one minute.
- Turn the mixer at high speed and gradually add the sugar.
- Continue beating for about 6 minutes or triple in volume.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Incorporate the flour/cornstarch mixture in four portions with a rubber spatula.
- Use a circular motion and be gentle so as not to deflate the eggs.
- Pour in pans almost to the top.
- Bake for 20/25 minutes (until it is brown and springy in center).
- Unmold on racks and cool right side up.
1 full cup of walnuts
1-1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- Preheat oven 350 °F
- Warm nuts on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Butter a 9 inch metal pan and set aside.
- In a 3 quart saucepan mix granulated sugar, water and cream of tartar.
- Cook over high heat without stirring for about 12 minutes or until golden brown (300°F ).
- Stir in the prepared nuts.
- Save a few for decoration.
- Pour in the metal pan and let cool for an hour.
- Return the pan with a hard rap on the counter and pulverize the pieces in a food processor.
1-1/2 cups of unsalted butter at room temperature
3 large egg yolks at room temperature
1 Tbsp of light corn syrup
1-1/2 cup of praline
drops of vanilla extract
- Beat egg yolks and butter together at high speed.
- Mixture should be smooth.
- Blend in corn syrup, praline and vanilla.
- Place in refrigerator until firm.