1/2 cup sifted and measured all‑purpose flour
1/2 cup of cornstarch
6 extra large eggs at room temperature
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter, line and rebutter 2 eight inch layer cake pans.
- Flour and take out excess flour.
- Resift the flour and cornstarch. Set aside.
- With a mixer gently beat the eggs for one minute. T
- urn the mixer at high speed and gradually add the sugar.
- Continue beating for about 6 minutes or triple in volume.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Incorporate the flour/cornstarch mixture in four portions with a rubber spatula.
- Use a circular motion and be gentle so as not to deflate the eggs.
- Pour in pans almost to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- It should be brown and springy in center.
- Unmold on racks and cool right side up.
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp of flour
2-1/2 cups of milk
1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
1 Tbsp of butter
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
3 Tbsp of pralin (1/2 cup of almonds toasted in oven for 5 minutes, stirred into a caramel made with 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 Tbsp water)
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until it forms the ribbon.
- Add the flour.
- In the meantime, boil the milk.
- When the egg yolks are ready, pour the boiling milk in slowly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook slowly for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and butter and 2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
2/3 cup of water & ½ cup of sugar
3 Tbsp of Grand Marnier
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool and add flavorings.
Assemble the cake
- With a serrated knife, cut the Genoise into 3 equal layers.
- Place one layer on a cardboard disk and brush with the dessert syrup.
- Spread a layer of crème patissière with a spatula.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of pralin.
- Cover with a layer of génoise and repeat until the last layer.
- Refrigerate overnight and decorate.