Serve 8 to 10 people.
4 whole eggs
8 egg yolks
4 cups milk boiled
1/2 cup sugar + 2 Tbsps
1 vanilla bean
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
- Make caramel by boiling water and sugar together until golden brown.
- Pour into a 8 cup ring mold and tilt the mold to coat the sides.
1 cup of whipping cream
5 or 6 meringues, crushed
1 lb of large strawberries, sliced and macerated in rum
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Warm the milk with the vanilla bean and leave to infuse for ?? hour.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks lightly with the sugar
- Add milk and strain, if necessary, into the caramel lined mold
- Cook at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes (bain marie).
- Cool completely, preferably overnight.
- Turn the custard into a serving dish.
- Whisk the cream until stiff and place half in a pastry bag with a small rosette tube.
- Fold the crushed meringues into the remaining cream and put in the center of the custard.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and pipe stars of cream over the meringue and cream mixture.
- Serve very cold.