4 whole eggs
2 egg yolks
4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 pears (peeled and sliced)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large frying pan, cook the pears with 1 Tbsp of water and a sprinkling of sugar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and egg yolks lightly with the sugar.
- Scald the milk and add the vanilla. Set aside.
- Make the caramel:
- In a small saucepan, put the sugar and the water.
- Boil down until it becomes a rich golden color.
- Spread this caramel around the dish that is going to be used for the flan.
- Roll it around until it sets.
- Save some of the caramel to pour on the cooked pears.
- Put a layer of the cooked caramelized pears on top of the cooled caramel in the flan dish.
- Refrigerate the rest of the pears.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture and pour into the caramelized flan dish.
- Cook at 325°F for 1 hour (bain marie) or until a knife inserted in the middle of the flan comes out clean.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight before unmolding.
- To unmold: detach the top of the flan from the side of the dish with a knife.
- Gently rock from side to side before turning the whole flan upside down into a serving dish.
- You can serve the extra pieces of caramelized pear with the flan.