Serves 6 to 8.
1 1/2 lb of strawberries
1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/4 cups of whole milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup of sugar
1 Tbsp of flour
2 tsp of vanilla extract
3 Tbsp of orange liqueur (Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
1 cup of sliced, blanched almonds
- Roast the almonds at 400°F oven for 3 minutes or until brown
- Wash, drain and dry the strawberries, remove the stems.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and let macerate for 2 or 3 hours.
- Assemble and measure all ingredients before starting. Work quickly.
- Put flour in 2 quart mixing bowl. Add sugar and mix well. Add enough milk to make a paste without lumps.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs slightly with a fork.
- In a 2 1/2 quart saucepan bring the rest of the milk to a boil.
- Pour 1/2 the milk in the flour/sugar mixture and beat quickly until smooth.
- Add the eggs and blend well.
- Pour this mixture into the remaining milk (bring back to the boil if necessary) and cook for 30 seconds or until it thickens.
- Cool by putting bottom of pan in cold water. Continue beating.
- When just warm, add orange liqueur and vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Divide the strawberries evenly in wide dessert glasses, pour the macerated juice over them, cover with the cream, sprinkle with roasted almonds.
- Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.