For 6 people use a 8 cup mold and use the following amounts.
For 4 people use a 6 cup soufflé or charlotte mold (quantity in parentheses).
Prepare the mold by buttering inside and sprinkling with sugar.
Preheat oven at 400°F.
4 1/2 Tbsp of flour (3 Tbsp)
1 1/4 cup of milk (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup of sugar – reserve 2 Tbsp (1/4 cup – reserve 1 Tbsp)
1 cup of pureed apricot (1/2 cup)
2 Tbsp of butter (1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp of vanilla (1/2 Tbsp)
6 eggs separated + 2 egg white (4 + 1 white)
cream of tartar
2 Tbsp of powdered sugar (1 Tbsp)
1/2 cup of pureed apricot
1 Tbsp of sugar
1/2 cup of whipped cream
1 tsp of Cointreau
- Beat some milk into the flour and mix well then add the rest of the milk and the sugar (reserve 2 Tbsp for sauce).
- Cook the mixture on medium heat until it thickens and comes to a boil.
- Add the pureed apricot and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and beat for 2 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Separate the eggs and beat one egg yolk at a time in the mixture. Reserve the whites in a beating bowl.
- Mix in half the butter. Cover the surface with the other half to prevent skin from forming.
- Beat the reserved egg whites (+ 2 more) until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle on the reserved sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold the egg whites into the cooled mixture and poured into the prepared mold.
- Leave 1?? inches between the top of the soufflé and the rim of the mold
- Place the mold in the middle level of the preheated oven and turn the heat down to 375°F. After 20 minutes, you can sprinkle the top with powdered sugar and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately along with the sauce made with the 1/2 cup of pureed apricot to which is added 1 Tbsp of sugar, 1/2 cup of whipped cream and 1 tsp of Cointreau.