4 large eggs, separated + 3 egg whites (reserve yolks for sauce)
4 oz. of semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup of milk
4 Tbsp of sugar
- Butter and sugar a 6 cup mold and refrigerate.
- Beat the 4 egg yolks with the sugar until light yellow.
- Place the chocolate in the saucepan with the milk and melt.
- Remove from the heat and mix with the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg white until they reach a soft peak.
- Whisk about 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate then gently fold in the rest.
- Pour into the soufflé mold; it should reach the rim.
- Place on a cookie sheet in a preheated 375°F oven for 18 to 20 minutes. The soufflé should be moist in the center.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately or cool overnight and unmold.
1 cup of milk
2 tsp of cornstarch
1 tsp of vanilla
3 egg yolks (reserved from the soufflé)
1/4 cup of sugar
2 Tbsp of dark rum
- Place the milk, cornstarch and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Mix with a whip and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile combine egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale yellow.
- Pour the boiling milk all at once on top of the egg yolks and whisk to combine well.
- Let cool, add the rum and refrigerate.