4 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of flour
3 eggs separated
3 Tbsp of butter
3 Tbsp of sugar & 1 Tbsp of water
2 Tbsp of Grand Marnier
1/2 cup of cream, whipped (for decoration)
Sprinkle of pralin for decoration
- In a saucepan, bring the milk to a boil on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, mix the flour and sugar together.
- Break 3 egg yolks in another bowl and beat slightly. Reserve the egg whites.
- Pour half the boiling milk in the flour-sugar mixture and whisk vigorously to break any lumps. Mix the beaten egg yolks as well.
- Add the rest of the milk to the mixture. Return to cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and add the softened butter. Add the Grand Marnier. This is a pastry cream.
- Make the caramel. As soon as it darkens, add 1/4 cup of milk. Stir in to dissolve and add to the cream.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in the refrigerated pastry cream and pour into individual glasses or cups. Decorate with the whipped cream and/or the pralin.