Adapted from Julia Child. For 6 servings use a 2 quart bowl or 6 ramequins.
Savoiardi italian crisp lady fingers or stale lady fingers as needed (or dried in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes)
3 Tbsp of cognac with 3 Tbsp of orange juice
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp of flour
2 1/2 cups of milk
1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
1 Tbsp of butter
4 egg whites and a pinch of salt
1 Tbsp sugar
- Prepare the bowl or ramequins by putting in lady fingers soaked in the cognac and orange juice at the bottom of each dish or bowl.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until it forms the ribbon. Add the flour.
- In the meantime, boil the milk. When the egg yolks are ready, pour the boiling milk in slowly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook slowly for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and butter.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peak stage. Add the sugar and beat some more.
- Fold the egg whites into the warm egg yolk mixture (crème patissière).
- Add whatever seasonal fresh fruit you have selected (raspberries and strawberries are good choices.
- Pour the crème plombières in the bowl or cups and chill for 2 or 3 hours