Adapted from Julia Child. For 6 servings use a 2 quart bowl or 6 ramequins.
Stale lady fingers as needed (or dried in a 350°F oven for 30 min)
2 Tbsp of rum mixed with 2 Tbsp of regular coffee
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup of sugar
3 Tbsp of flour
2 cups of milk
1 Tbsp of vanilla extract
1 Tbsp of butter
4 egg whites and a pinch of salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp of pralin (1 cup of almonds toasted in oven for 5 min. stirred into a caramel made with 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water)
- Prepare the ramequins by putting in lady fingers soaked in the cognac and orange juice at the bottom of each dish.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl until it forms the ribbon. Add the flour.
- In the meantime, boil the milk. When the egg yolks are ready, pour the boiling milk in slowly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook slowly for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and butter.
- Beat the egg whites and salt until soft peak stage. Add the sugar and beat some more.
- Fold the egg whites and the pralin into the hot egg yolk mixture (crème patissière).
- Pour the crème plombières in the bowl or cups and chill for 2 or 3 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle some pralin on top.