This is a strawberry mousse with pistachios and coulis. The recipe creates enough for a 6 cup charlotte mold.
2 pint baskets strawberries, washed and dried; get 5 extra strawberries for decoration
(or 16 oz. package of frozen whole strawberries – a better choice in winter)
2 pint baskets strawberries, washed and dried; get 5 extra strawberries for decoration 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar
Juice of one lemon, strained
1 1/2 envelopes gelatine (3 tsp, one envelope is 2 tsp)
1 cup of whipped cream & 1/4 cup for decoration
50 shelled pistachios
Strawberry puree (from above)
1/2 cup of instant dissolving sugar
2 Tbsp of lemon juice
Reserved whipped cream
Drops of vanilla extract
1 tsp of instant dissolving sugar
- Set aside 5 small, perfect strawberries for garnish, hull the remainder, and puree in a food processor.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups for the mousse, the rest for the strawberry coulis.
- Prepare the strawberry coulis:
- Pass the reserved puree through a fine sieve to remove the seeds.
- Whisk in sugar and lemon juice; refrigerate.
- Prepare the pistachios:
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil.
- Add the pistachios and remove the pan from the heat.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Peel and chop coarse; set aside.
- Add the 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar and the lemon juice to the 1 1/2 cups of puree.
- Sprinkle the gelatine on 1/4 cup of water in a heatproof container and let stand 5 minutes until softened.
- Bring 2 to 3 inches of water to a simmer in a small pan.
- Set the container of gelatine in it until liquid.
- Whisk the liquified gelatine into the sweetened strawberry puree.
- Add the chopped pistachios.
- Beat 1 cup of the whipped cream and fold in the strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle the inside of a charlotte mold with cold water.
- Pour in the strawberry-cream mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 5 to 6 hours.
- Not more than 1 hour before serving whipped the remainder of the cream with the drops of vanilla until stiff.
- Add the sugar and beat some more.
- Fit a pastry bag with a medium star tip.
- Fill with the Chantilly cream and refrigerate.
- Unmold the dessert:
- Dip the mold into hot water for a few seconds.
- Invert on a dessert platter.
- Decorate with the fresh strawberries, cut in thin slices, and the Chantilly cream.
- Serve with the coulis.